[Pandas-dev] Request for Comments on PEP 615

Paul Ganssle paul at ganssle.io
Sat Apr 18 13:46:00 EDT 2020

Hi Pandas devs,

If you are not already aware, I proposed PEP 615
<https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0615/>, which adds IANA time zone
support to the standard library, almost two months ago. I know that
pandas makes very heavy use of time zones, so I probably should have
explicitly requested comments earlier in this process, but I suppose
it's better late than never.

The discussion is mostly centralized to the Python discourse
<https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-615-support-for-the-iana-time-zone-database-in-the-standard-library/3468/60>.
You are welcome to comment on any aspect of the PEP, though one of the
few remaining "open questions" is the question of equality and hash
semantics
<https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-615-support-for-the-iana-time-zone-database-in-the-standard-library/3468/60?u=pganssle>,
which I figured may be relevant for this crowd, since I know you have to
do some funky footwork to in some ways normalize time zones and adapt
the time zone information to your own time model.

Thanks!
Paul