[Pandas-dev] Discourse discussion forum

Marc Garcia garcia.marc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 09:03:11 EDT 2019

Discourse has private categories, we already have a private "Maintainers"
one, that only admins can see and use. And there are other permissions
levels that can be used. For example, we can have a private category for
the memebers of the code of conduct committee... I just need to check if we
can associate email addresses to those groups, so when someone emails to
coc at pandas.io the messages are posted in that private group. But if we can
set up that as we need, I think we should be able to replace all those and
centralize everything in Discourse.

I'm skeptical on being able to set up a global Discourse for all the
ecosystem, where things are easy to find, based on how Discourse works and
the tests I did. I'd move forward with our own for now if nobody is able to
set that up.

Andy, I got the pandas account approved in minutes. I see that we can have
a custom domain, so you can use the pandas and see if we can manage to have
multiple projects in a way we like, and if we do we just change the domain
to discuss.pydata.org (or whatever). You're already an admin, feel free to
experiment and change the set up as you need.

Maarten, not sure I understand your point. Not a fan of Discourse so far,
but I think having the user and the devs discussions in a single place
makes it easier to find the information, and I think Discourse interface
also makes it easier to find compared to mailman, or google groups.
Regardless of gitter (there are no important discussions or decision making
there I think), would you prefer to stay with mailman and google groups
over Discourse? Or what you think would be the ideal or best option?

Thanks!