[Pandas-dev] GH Issue Labels

Marc Garcia garcia.marc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 13:44:48 EDT 2019

I'm fine removing everything you mention in 1) and 3). I usually label with
the effort low for good first issues, but I think good first issue implies
that anyway, so happy to get rid of it too.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 12:09 Tom Augspurger, <tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2. Style does indeed refer to coding style. Wouldn't be opposed to a
> Styler label, but it's also covered by HTML formatting.
> 4. "Expressions" might also work, given
> pandas/core/computation/expressions.py
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM William Ayd via Pandas-dev <
> pandas-dev at python.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) I rarely find these useful. The only difficulty label I’ve found
>> useful is the entirely separate “good first issue”, so I would think we can
>> certainly move low difficulty / effort tags
>> 2) I would be OK with relabeling this as “Coding Style” and moving the
>> unrelated ones to an IO label to disambiguate
>> 3) No objections but maybe not a high priority either. The way we operate
>> now the vast majority of our issues will never be read (maybe a bot would
>> be useful here)
>> 4) Maybe a “Tokenizer” tag for pd.eval? Could cover pd.query as well
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Matthew Roeschke <emailformattr at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Agreed with your conclusion.
>> 3) No objections where applicable. For example, I would still keep the
>> "OSX" and "Python 3.6" tags.
>> 2 + 4) I was thinking it might be useful to have more specific tags for
>> pandas methods (like we do for "Apply"). Though it would increase the
>> number of tags, it would help us and issue writers triage related/duplicate
>> issues instead of using the less-than-perfect Github filter bar.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:52 AM Brock Mendel <jbrockmendel at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After doing some issue triage on older issues, I'd like to solicit
>>> community opinions on what labels are useful.  In particular:
>>>
>>> 1) Are the "Difficulty Advanced/Intermediate", "Effort High/Low/Medium",
>>> "Prio-high/low/medium" labels useful for anyone?  "Prio High" I understand,
>>> but the others are mostly noise to me.
>>> 2) "Style" appears ambiguous.  Some people (me) think it refers to
>>> coding style, but it also gets applied to things issues involving the
>>> Styler class.  Is there a canonical answer?
>>> 3) Any objections to removing labels with 0 open Issues/PRs?
>>> 4) Issues involving pd.eval don't have a clear home.  Suggestions?