[Pandas-dev] Just a quick question from a regular pandas user

Pietro Battiston me at pietrobattiston.it
Sat Nov 30 10:39:21 EST 2019

Dear devs,

every time that "pandas 2" comes out, it is (it seems to me) not
because of our concrete plans for it, or even because it is used as
inspiration for current pandas (which by the way is receiving great and
substantial improvements), but because some user is confused by the
docs/issues mentioning it.

I know it is somewhat of a rhetorical question - because we ourselves
always considered "pandas 2" first and foremost as a direction to take
(or at least discuss) rather than as a version to release - but I'm
wondering whether having pandas 2 mentioned, discussed and postponed
(inevitably, as we are not even really targeting at it) is really
helpful, and in particular whether the separate github project is
really helpful.

I see two options:
- spend serious effort in communicating users what/when to expect (and
not to expect) from pandas 2
- delete any mention to pandas 2 from our github and from the "pandas
2.0 Design Documents" - which could be just described as "the future of
pandas"

... which clearly doesn't mean we do not need to introduce important
changes in pandas (this is happening daily), or that there shouldn't be a version 2.0 some day.

This is some of the "confused users" I have in mind:
https://www.reddit.com/r/datascience/comments/8rcoou/what_happened_to_pandas_2/

Cheers,

Pietro