[Pandas-dev] Remove old mailing lists

Pietro Battiston me at pietrobattiston.it
Wed Nov 13 03:21:03 EST 2019

Marc,

on whether Discourse (or Flarum) is the right tool to best reach/host
our (pydata) community, while not being a fan of Discourse from my very
limited experience (GNOME), I was not rhetorical when I wrote that I
trust what you, and other people who spent time on this, think. I say
this not just because I don't have time now to devote to the issue, but
also because you already did great things for pandas in the past in
terms of community involvement. You definitely know how to reach
people, better than me.

My previous two emails were just pointing out that while the pydata ML
and gitter were probably a suboptimal way to involve our community, the
devs MLs seemed to me to just work fine, and I didn't read of specific
complaints that would justify closing them. Sure, some people had
missed the fact that pandas-dev is open to non-core contributors, but I
think we did some steps in clarifying the options to get in contact
with us:
https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas-website/issues/68

Then, I might have missed some arguments/conclusions: in this case,
please let me know, and I will stop bothering. But I'm not "against
Discourse".

Cheers,

Pietro