[Pandas-dev] Version Policy following 1.0

Tom Augspurger tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 16:58:09 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM Brock Mendel <jbrockmendel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we anticipate the rate of deprecations decreasing significantly?  i.e.
> if right now we deprecated everything on which there is a consensus in GH,
> would we be done for a while?
>
> If not, then I think we're better off sticking with zero-dot-*, or else
> we'll be bumping major versions really frequently.

I think this is why I prefer sticking with rolling. If every release bumps
the major version number, then no release is a major release.

So my preference would be

1. Formally adopt and document that we using a rolling deprecation cycle
2. State that deprecations will be around for `N` major releases (3?)
3. Require that every new deprecation includes the version it'll be
enforced in. e.g.

```
DataFrame.get_dtype_counts is deprecated, and will be removed in pandas
1.3.0.
Use DataFrame.dtypes.value_counts() instead.
```

Tom

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM Tom Augspurger <tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com>