[Pandas-dev] Version Policy following 1.0

Tom Augspurger tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 16:49:24 EDT 2019

Split from
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/pandas-dev/2019-July/001030.html

Following 1.0, I think we stop outright breaking APIs. I think that
stability will be welcome to users.

We still have to decide how we deprecate APIs. The two options are

1. Rolling deprecations: Essentially what we do today: An API is deprecated
in release 1.1.0 and can be removed in (say) 1.4.0.
2. SemVer: An API may be deprecated in 1.x.0. It can be removed in 2.0.0

Do people have preferences between the two? The (dis?)advantage of Semver
is that all the API-breaking changes are restricted to a single releases.
With rolling deprecations, the upgrades from any 1.x to 1.y should be
smoother than 1.x to 2.x.

Once we choose a strategy, we may want to formalize release schedules
around it.

Tom