[Pandas-dev] Dataframe - drop function - passing in invalid row name

Vinodhini Balusamy me.vinob at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 06:59:04 EST 2018

Hi,

I am new to pandas. Beginner level in learning Data science skills.

I came across the below case while learning about DatFrame structure drop function.

>>> items
             item   name
store1      dress   V
store2       food   A
store2      water   C

CASE 1 : axis set to column and given a value which is not available in the structure. Gives ValueError.
>>> items.drop('abcd',axis=1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py", line 2530, in drop
    obj = obj._drop_axis(labels, axis, level=level, errors=errors)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py", line 2562, in _drop_axis
    new_axis = axis.drop(labels, errors=errors)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py", line 3744, in drop
    labels[mask])
ValueError: labels ['abcd'] not contained in axis

CASE 2 : axis set to row, and given a value which is not available in structure should behave in the same way as the above case does.
Instead it just prints the structure table. Shouldn’t it be throwing ValueError ?
>>> items.drop('abcd',axis=0)
             item   name
store1      dress   V
store2       food   A
store2      water   C

Kindly correct me if i am wrong here. Or it is been this way for any specific reason in design ?

Thanks in advance.
Kind Rgds,
Vinodhini B