[Pandas-dev] Mailing list for Python data analytics ecosystem developers?

Matthew Rocklin mrocklin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 17:58:36 EST 2018

> I don't see what is wrong with using e-mail.

There were some issues raised before:

   1.
*I'm slightly concerned that a broad ranging e-mail list that encompasses
   all of PyData would get noisy.  For example I can imagine lengthy
   conversations on visualization or probabalistic programming that, while I
   find important, would likely want to take a pass on.  Having a service that
   includes tags and subscription to those tags may have value. *
   2. *E-mail list archives tend to collect dust.  If we're doing
   long-range cross-project coordination then those conversations might have
   long term value.  We might want to cross reference them, upvote them,
   subscribe to them, and so on.*

And also some benefits of discourse raised by Nathaniel which might be
turned around to be interpreted as concerns with e-mail.

*My impression so far is that discourse takes a bit of adjustmentcompared
to mailing lists, but it has a lot of valuable features likemulti-quoting,
markdown (code blocks, links, ...), solid moderationtools (e.g. if a
discussion diverges you can retroactively split partsof it out into a new
topic), polls (these were incredibly useful fortaking the temperature of
the community during the governancediscussions), ability to reply to
messages that were posted before youjoined the list, configurable
notifications (email me everything /email me when a new topic is created /
email me a summary weekly /...), ...*

> It is public, archival, and append-only. GitHub issues are non-archival
and comments can be edited or deleted.

That's certainly true of GitHub issues.  I suspect that it's also true of
Discourse (though I'd have to go through the docs to make sure that it
wasn't possible to turn it off).  From my perspective the (in)ability to
edit or delete comments isn't a big deal.  I'm not particularly concerned
with people modifying history in a nefarious way.  Though perhaps my
viewpoint here is naive.  I haven't yet run into this issue in our
community.

I think that the biggest benefit to using an e-mail list is that it's a
well known technology with a low barrier to adoption.

I anticipate two likely failure modes for e-mail and discourse respectively:

   - EMail: conversation is too diffuse so that people sign up, get bored
   listening to things that don't interest them, and then stop notifications.
   The pydata mailing list ends up being used by small subsets of the
   community, but not the community as a whole.
   - Discourse: it's too new/unknown so that no one signs up and it doesn't
   reach critical mass.  (this seems to be happening with Jupyter's discourse
   today?)

There are lots of other pros and cons to each, obviously, but those two
outcomes are, I think, the most troublesome.