[Pandas-dev] Mailing list for Python data analytics ecosystem developers?

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 12:26:17 EST 2018

Copying the mailing list

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM Matthew Rocklin <mrocklin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be happy to participate in such a list and think that it is a good idea.
>
> I encourage people to reach out and ask on other PyData focused mailing lists asking for input.  Numfocus, scipy-dev, numpy-dev come to mind.  There are undoubtedly others though that are in this space, but not on my personal radar.
>
> I'll also bring up the possibility of using a technology other than e-mail.  I've been interested in PyTorch's use of discouse recently.  https://discuss.pytorch.org/  No strong thoughts on this though.  I'm not sure that there is a good e-mail alternative today, but it would be good to improve the longevity of asynchronous group conversations.

Discourse is interesting. It seems to be used (at least in PyTorch's
case) as more of a modern message board for users than a place for
long-form discussions between project developers.

IMHO having a cross-project developer mailing list is probably overdue
-- I think we can do a better job the next couple of years
coordinating (colluding?) with each other. A lot of coordination does
of course in private, project-level, or other ad-hoc basis. It would
help to be able to discuss ecosystem-level problems and possible
solutions.