[Pandas-dev] Commit messages

Joris Van den Bossche jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:39:55 EDT 2018

Hi Pietro,

No, the github interface does not create such a commit message (it
sometimes puts all the individual commit messages in the body, but without
the details of the author and the hash for each squashed commit).
It was our script (scripts/merge-pr.py) that created such commit messages,
but nowadays we usually don't use that anymore, but rather use the green
merge button on github itself.

What I often do is edit the body of the generated commit message by github
a little bit (eg if many of the individual squashed commit messages are
"edit", "fixup", etc I just remove them, or otherwise keep the informative
part), but nothing too fancy. Github always adds the PR number to commit
title, so that way you can easily get back to the PR to look at individual
squased commits if needed.

Joris