[Pandas-dev] 0.20 and 1.0 timeline, 2.x interactions?

Jeff Reback jeffreback at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:26:39 EDT 2016

So here's what I am thinking.

We need a bug fix release (0.19.1) say 1 month. Then we need a 0.20.0 in
approx 3 months ('regular' major release). The difference here is we can
limit new additions to this release (prob just period dtype?) and do major
deprecation removal https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/13777 / add
anything else (e.g. Panel/.ix) deprecations.

Then we turn around and do a 1.0 say 1 month after that, which is the api
stable release.

So then the 1.x / LTS can continue with the following categories:

- bug fixes
- perf improvements
- deprecation removals (hate to do it, but we have to)
- minor / limited deprecations
- limited new enhancements

So mostly continue the usual pattern. Maybe with a higher hurdle for
introducing changes that are potentially disruptive. E.g. would we accept
Interval/IntervalIndex for example. This should have a new dtype. (that's
why I am picking on it).

I am promoting a pattern like this to avoid the pitfall of: 'hey pandas is
in LTS / stable, so we won't contribute any more, its just bug fixes' issue.

Jeff