[Pandas-dev] 0.20 and 1.0 timeline, 2.x interactions?

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:57:11 EDT 2016

Since we are close on the 0.19.0 release (thanks Joris for the hard
work!), I wanted to see if we can start assembling a concrete plan for
0.20 and/or 1.0 (API-stability / maintenance branch begin). Depending
on the scope of the deprecations or other work desired for these
releases, it would be great ideally to reach 1.0 by Jan 1 or the first
couple months of 2017.

On the pandas 2.0 side, I don't think that the timeline for 0.20 or
1.0 will block progress from beginning. I'd soon like to start
prototyping some of the new designs we've been discussing to get some
concrete feedback on real working code (will create issues on
pydata/pandas-design to track). Once we establish some of the
essential design patterns (i.e. what does an alternative to the
BlockManager look like? How do we handle dynamic / multiple dispatch
based on type?) and feel comfortable with them, more of the "porting"
work can begin.

I think as long as the pandas-2.x branch rebases cleanly for the first
while then there will be no conflict. At some point rebasing may not
be possible and we will need to come up with a backporting policy.

Thanks
Wes