[Pandas-dev] Reorganizing the megamodules

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:26:01 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Joris Van den Bossche
<jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As part of improving our code organization, I'd like to look at
>> splitting up modules exceeding 3000 lines into subpackages. Obvious
>> targets are
>>
>> core/frame.py
>> core/generic.py
>> core/index.py
>> core/series.py
>>
>> For the "big" classes like Series and DataFrame, this amounts mainly
>> to having a common pattern for adding new instance methods that aren't
>> nested under the main class: header (or in one of their subclasses).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> How would you like to split up eg frame.py? As the majority of that file
> consists of the DataFrame class definition.

Into modules containing groups of functionally-related methods (for
example: all IO methods together). Class methods are just attributes
of the class object (which can be assigned elsewhere), so they don't
need to be in the same module as the class definition.