[Pandas-dev] reading ods files

David Verelst david.verelst at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:36:40 CET 2014

Hi all,

Issue 2311 [0] expresses the wish to add IO support for the Open Document
Format spreadsheet ods (and others). As a starting point, I have
implemented an incomplete ods reader in my pandas fork [1] using the ODF
module ezodf [2]. There is more work to be done, and I would like to
discuss the implementation in more detail. The first that comes to my mind
is: should there be a new class OdsFile as in my first example, or should
ExcelFile also handle ods files?. What is the best place for this
discussion, here on the mailing list, issue 2311 or in a new pull request?

Best regards,
David Verelst

[0] https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/2311
[1] https://github.com/davidovitch/pandas/tree/io-ods
[2] https://github.com/T0ha/ezodf

PS: apologies for the double post, this entry was first submitted to the
Pandas user <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pydata/Zv-BXJNsP2U>
instead of dev list.