[Pandas-dev] 0.11.1 beta plan

yoval p. yoval at gmx.com
Sat Jun 1 18:59:15 CEST 2013

The build cache was taken out of setup.py and placed
in scripts/use_build_cache.py where it belongs. By invoking
that script, you monkey patch setup.py with the build cache logic.

I did that so I could use the build cache with historical commits before
the build cache was introduced, to simplify setup.py, and to makes sure
work on the build cache could not break setup.py no matter what.

When used with -b -t (rather then -H), test_perf delegates everything to
the vbench module which doesn't know anything about the build cache.
So you will get cache action for commits from the period where that
logic was integral to setup.py, but not commits before or after.

I would suggest that the whole thing is now broken up into 3
decoupled parts, each indep. useful:
1) Use the build cache to quickly jump to any point in history
(that you've built before).
2) Use test_perf -H to benchmark HEAD, and save the results
to a pickle file.
3) Use (or reuse previously saved) the pickle files to generate a report.

3 is what's currently missing, but practically all there in
test_perf, which just needs some refactoring to support that.
Once that's there, it would be a trivial shell script to automate
the whole thing.

Maybe I'll put something together over the weekend.

yoval

P.S.

'Thunderbirds are go' for 0.11.1