[omaha] Spark Data Frames - databricks blog post

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:57:54 CET 2015

Great article, thanks!

"Out of the box, DataFrame supports reading data from the most popular
formats, including JSON files, Parquet files, Hive tables. It can read from
local file systems, distributed file systems (HDFS), cloud storage (S3),
and external relational database systems via JDBC. In addition, through
Spark SQL’s external data sources API, DataFrames can be extended to
support any third-party data formats or sources. Existing third-party
extensions already include Avro, CSV, ElasticSearch, and Cassandra"

" * APIs for Python, Java, Scala, and R (in development via SparkR)"

Spark recently won the Daytona Gray Sort Benchmark 2014 title from Hadoop
MapReduce:
https://spark.apache.org/news/spark-wins-daytona-gray-sort-100tb-benchmark.html

Blaze "translates a subset of modified NumPy and Pandas-like syntax to
databases and other computing systems. Blaze allows Python users a familiar
interface to query data living in other data storage systems."
http://blaze.pydata.org/docs/dev/backends.html#id5 (Blaze interfaces with
Spark w/ PySpark)

* http://pandas-docs.github.io/pandas-docs-travis/ecosystem.html#xray works
with N-dimensional labeled data and netCDF (in lieu of (Sparse) Panel and
Panel4D)
* http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/dev/api.html