[omaha] Languages, fonts, scripts?

Steve Young wereapwhatwesow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 03:22:55 CET 2014

In case anyone needs to deal with this in the future:

Some languages have some advanced scripts - for example Hindi has
'dependent vowels':
In some words, written vowels change their form in order to join up with
consonants.

- With ‘i’: ि – कि [ki] is a combination of क + इ (k + i). The character ि is
added to the left and above.

There are about a dozen of these rules. When typing the Hindi word किताब
('book' in English) you press क then  ि and the result is कि.

Reportlabs does not seem to know the rule, and prints क ि. I have not been
able to figure exactly why reportlabs fails, so I started trying other
solutions. (kind of a bummer, because up to that point I liked working with
it)

On the web, using font-families helps solve the problem of missing glyphs,
as there can be many fonts in a family. (there are still too many glyphs to
put all the languages into a single font) and most OS's since around 2006
recognize most of the world's languages.

I looked at xhtml2pdf but it uses the reportlab toolkit so I thought it
might have the same problem, and moved on to WeasyPrint.  Like xhtml2pdf It
uses html and css to format the output, and pycairo to save to a pdf.
Pycairo seems to convert the text to vector graphics so I don't have to
worry about embedding fonts. I sent a pdf sample to the printer for
approval and keeping my fingers crossed.