[omaha] FeedJack

Mike Hostetler mike at squarepegsystems.com
Thu Mar 14 19:10:00 CET 2013

man that is a lot of commentary for a quick email before running lunch
errands.

On the non-techie side:

Free apps going away is, unfortunately, typical in our web-app world. I
think this post from the guy that runs Pinboard really explains it well:
http://blog.pinboard.in/2011/12/don_t_be_a_free_user/

So the morale to the story is either pay for it or build it yourself.

I'll save my other rants for Google+. Lots of angry people there.

On the techie-side:

I'll freely admit that I just got FeedJack up to the point that I could see
the webapp working. The images don't display, etc but the Admin goes. The
code is crufty, but that's mostly because it used some things that are no
longer in Django. I've seen worse. Heck, I've written worse.

I also found this, which was spun off of FeedJack:
https://github.com/matagus/django-planet

One thing that is wrong in all of these is feed ownership -- if you want
more than one user on the system, these need some work. My wife doesn't
want to see my Python blogs and I probably don't want to see her food
blogs. But if she is making a recipe and wants me to get things for it,
then it makes sense to share it with me and add a comment. This is really a
killer feature that Google Reader *used* to have, but, as Jeff said, they
shut that off a while ago to force G+  on people.

On the search front: I've used Haystack with Whoosh and was underwhelmed.
It took 4 hours to update the indices on 250k items and took sometimes a
minute to do a search. I have used ElasticSearch in the past and it's nice,
but I don't like having to monitor yet another system to get something to
work.

I've used PostgreSQL's Text Search functionality to replace the Haystack
and it's amazing. Took some work getting it going, but now I don't have to
do anything -- no extra process! Heck, try it yourself:
http://powerhousetoolparts.com/newsearch/?q=type