[omaha] an article I just came across in one of my subscriptions

James Drake jim.drake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 22:23:04 CET 2013

Lin, Johnny Wei-Bing, 2012: Why Python Is the Next Wave in Earth Sciences
Computing. *Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.*, *93*, 1823–1824.
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-12-00148.1 Creighton and the U. of
Nebraska should have BAMS in their collections. Their is a fair chance that
some of the Nebraska public libraries do too through Nebraskaccess, to home
users, but I haven't checked.

There is a blog and mailing list to Python as applied to atmsopheric and
oceanic sciences (AOS): http://pyaos.johnny-lin.com. "New AOS users may
find the book, *A Hands-On Introduction to Using Python in the Atmospheric
and Oceanic Sciences,* to be more tailored to their workflow; it is
available online in a free version at www.johnny-lin.com/pyintro."

The article briefly discusses the pros and cons of Python in AOS.

-- Jim