[omaha] djangotasks TLC

Mike Hostetler mike at squarepegsystems.com
Fri Jul 27 18:08:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

In our last meeting, Steve mentioned that the group has talked about an
open source project to work on. I recently stumbled onto a neat project
called "djangotasks" that does asynchronous work (like batch jobs) in
Django and saves the result and log messages in the database. It hasn't
been updated in a while but it still works on my Django 1.4 project.

The main issue it has now is the unit tests don't work -- I think they were
written for Django 1.1 or 1.2 and do things like create a temporary model
and do work on that. That wasn't well supported then so the tests don't
work now but it shouldn't be incredibly difficult to get them going. Then
we can add some functionality to it (I know I have a couple of ideas to
make some things easier to do ).

I emailed one of the maintainers and he put a repo on GitHub:

https://github.com/farialima/django-tasks

And I forked it:
https://github.com/squarepegsys/django-tasks

The original Google Code page has the documentation:
http://code.google.com/p/django-tasks/

Fork again people!

--
Mike Hostetler