[omaha] web frameworks

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 3 17:08:26 CET 2009

Hi Steve, I just finished reading a book from O'Reilly called "Using Google
App Engine" by Charles Severence http://is.gd/4M5Jb

It is an entry level web development book written by a University professor
as an introduction to programming text book. It is cheap and the content is
very approachable.

It doesn't teach anything deep about Google App Engine (GAE) but it gives
you a very clear and concise introduction to HTML, CSS, JavaScript/Ajax,
Databases, Python and the fundamentals of developing a web app. The beauty
of GAE in this context is that you don't need a server and you don't need to
pay any money. You can start developing locally on your PC and publish to
the web w/ no out of pocket costs.

I heartily recommend it if you are a book learner. It's a very skinny book.
If you are an experienced web developer you will probably not benefit from
it and you'd finish it in a couple hours. I'd let you have mine but alas
I've already passed it on to someone else.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Steve Young <
sy at foreignlanguageflashcards.com> wrote:

> (third try, sorry for the blank posts)
>
> Is anyone aware of a good document/book that would help me get started with
> building web apps?  I have been reading a lot about the different
> frameworks, but mostly getting info from the developer's sites, which all
> think that theirs is the way to go for one reason or another.
>
> Since my programming skills are not that developed, I was leaning towards
> an "uber meta framework" at least in the beginning to help me with some of
> the basics but essentials, like user authentication, db handling, http
> stuff.  But I will take a closer look at cherryPy since Jeff keeps
> evangelizing for it.
>
> (btw, I had to research the 'dead tree' term, hadn't heard that before)

Matthew Nuzum