[omaha] Which version of Python?

Chad Homan choman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:06:10 CEST 2009

I agree as well.  python 2.x (specifically 2.6.2) is well established.
Personally,
I am working with 2.4, 2.6.2, and 3.1.  Hopefully I won't muddy the water
too
much, but here are some things to consider.

Even though python 3.1+ is the future, you will run into backwards
compatibility
issues in general.  If you require with 3rd party modules, they may not be
up to
speed with 3.1 yet, etc.  And you definitely should not code in 3.1 if your
intentions
are to eventually execute on 2.6.  This will not work well for anyone

Also note that there are forward compatibility issues as well. Some APIs are

obsolete or have changed names.  A few examples are:

Python 2.X

   - print "hello"
   - import ConfigParser
   - API's: file and open are the same

Python 3.1+

   - print ("hello")
   - import configparser
   - API file is obsolete, use open

The only caveat to this is if you're now producing anything for real-world
use and
you are just learning.  3.1 may still be a better place to start because it
is the
future and if you're just starting why not learn how things are done in what
is coming.

In the end it's your decision, so choose the blue or red pill wisely.
sorry could not resist the matrix spin

Anyways, good luck

Chad, CISSP

Pablo Picasso<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html>
- "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."