[omaha] amusing template engine story

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Feb 11 17:45:35 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 10:36 AM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:

> Just read a blog post the other day on Planet Python where they
> actually encouraged people to at least try and write their own
> templating system once for the experience.  The truth of the matter is
> in the link -- templating takes a very small portion of overall time
> so when I am coding in Python I normally use Cheetah.  It's productive
> with it's simplest features and if you need more it's there.
> <rant>The other big plus is that it doesn't require xml - a number of
> templating solutions won't even play ball it it's not a well formed
> xml doc -- sorry but not everything requires xml.  I require my tools
> to multi-task and not everything I do is a web page<g> nor xml
> output.</rant>

I'm not disagreeing with you, I use Mako and chose it because of the
non-requirement for XML, but to clarify, other templating tools like xslt
require valid xml input (the template must be XML) but the output can be
whatever... csv, .txt, poorly formed html, etc.

Still, someone once said that it's cruel to make humans grok xml and I
agree.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode