[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.20.1 availability

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 07:45:17 EDT 2021

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I would recommend using the community run conda-forge as one of your
> default conda channels. They have a very slick largely automated system
> to update recipes when upstream makes a release. The default Anaconda
> channel from Anaconda, Inc. (formerly Continuum Analytics, Inc.) is
> comparatively slow.

Agreed. I know the goal of the maintainers of the defaults channel is to
make the latest version available quickly. However, `defaults` requires
more integration testing than conda-forge/PyPI, and work tends to happen in
batches - in the past we've seen update times ranging from days to several
months.

We have some guidance at https://numpy.org/install/. Basically the two main
reasons to use `defaults`: for beginning users with modest needs, the
easiest thing to get started is just installing the Anaconda distribution
(which gives you `defaults`). Or you have corporate policies to use
`defaults` - you can pay Anaconda and it does come with things companies
and institutions may need, like guarantees around uptime and security.

Cheers,
Ralf