[Numpy-discussion] Tensor Typing presentation and discussion on Wednesday! (As part of the NumPy Community Meeting)

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni at fastmail.com
Sun Jun 13 22:49:39 EDT 2021

Thank you so much Matthew, Pradeep, and everyone else helping with this effort!

And thanks Matthew for sharing the slides — very informative! I’ve asked Sebastian for the recording but in the meantime I thought I’d ask a couple of questions about the syntax:

* why isn’t there a Subtract operator? It seems that Subtract[A, B] is much more readable than Add[A, Multiply[Literal[-1], B]]?
* is there a prospect for using actual operators and actual literals here? I think that a lot of reticence about Python typing comes from the annotations being so difficult to read. There’s been some great improvements recently with “Optional[Tuple[Union[Float, Int]]]” becoming “tuple[float | int] | None”, and I hope we can leapfrog the awkward phase with this tensor typing stuff. Again, A - B is much more readable again than Subtract[A, B]. And B-2 is much more readable than Add[B, Literal[-2]].

Other than that, love the work, thank you again!

Juan.