[Numpy-discussion] reducing effort spent on wheel builds?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 16:04:08 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 4:15 PM Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 8:02 AM Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I spent so much time updating the wheels builds to 64 bit BLAS mostly
>> because
>>

>>    - I needed to actually understand how multibuild worked (and docs are
>>    minimal).
>>    - I don't know powershell (and docs are hard to find).
>>    - I don't know azure works at a lower level (and docs are hard to
>>    find).

Yes, this is a problem. powershell/bash + no docs is not a recipe for
success. Longer term we could move it over to cibuildwheel which has decent
docs, but that in itself is a lot of work so it won't happen overnight.

>> And I thought it would all be drop in easy :) What that indicates to me
>> is that we could use a build expert and simpler infrastructure. Anaconda no
>> doubt has people far more knowledgeable about such matters than I am.
>>
>> As to the twitter thread, what is the proposal(s)?

There's no proposal yet, still stewing a bit on it. Although maybe the
first part of one is ready: no more new wheel flavors for things with
<<0.5% of the user base.

I'm perfectly happy to leave support for more exotic platforms to people
>> who have the hardware and make use of it, but no doubt such people have the
>> opposite problem of not knowing much about NumPy.
>>

> Let me add that distutils brings it's own set of problems. A better build
> system could help make building wheels simpler on various platforms. But
> then, someone would also need to become expert in that build system.

Working on that one:)

Cheers,
Ralf