[Numpy-discussion] Math Inspector Beta

Matt Calhoun calhoun137 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 18:18:49 EST 2021

Hi Everyone!  I have been using numpy for an extremely long time, but this
is the first time emailing the list.  I recently released the beta version
of my free open source math app called math inspector, and so far the
response has been really amazing, it was on the front page of hacker news
all day sunday and went from 15 stars to 348 on GitHub since then.  I
wanted to reach out to the community to find out if people like this
project, have any feedback/suggestions/feature requests, or would possibly
be interested in placing a link to the website (mathinspector.com) on the
numpy homepage.

Math inspector is a python interpreter which contains a frozen version of
python and numpy, this makes it very easy for non-technical people to get
started, it also creates a block coding environment which represents the
memory of the running program.  This block coding environment is at such a
high level of generality that it's capable of working for all of python.
It also has an interactive graphing system made in pygame which updates and
modernizes all of the functionality in matplotlib.  This graphing system is
it's own stand alone module by the way.  Math inspector also has a
documentation browser which creates a beautiful interactive experience for
exploring the documentation.

Everything in math inspector has been designed specifically for numpy, even
though it works for all of python.  I started it 2 years ago when I got
really confused after searching through the numpy website, and I wanted to
build a system where I could dig into the modules in a directory file type
structure that was highly organized.  From there everything just took off.

The main goal of this project is to support the mathematics education
community on youtube, by providing a free tool that everyone can use to
share code samples for their videos, but I believe it has a wide range of
additional applications for scientific computing as well.

I have been working really hard on this project, and I really hope everyone
likes it!

You can find the full source code on the GitHub page:
https://github.com/MathInspector/MathInspector

Cheers!
- Matt