[Numpy-discussion] Floating point precision expectations in NumPy

Jerome Kieffer Jerome.Kieffer at esrf.fr
Wed Aug 18 09:14:34 EDT 2021

I strongly agree with you Gregor:
* Best precision should remain the default. I lost months in finding
  the compiler option (in ICC) which switched to LA mode and broke all
  my calculations.
* I wonder how those SVML behaves on non-intel plateform ? Sleef
  provides the same approach but it works also on Power and ARM
  platforms (and is designed to be extended...).

Cheers,

Jerome

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:13:44 +0200
Gregor Thalhammer <gregor.thalhammer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Am 28.07.2021 um 01:50 schrieb Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there is a proposal to add some Intel specific fast math routine to
> > NumPy:
> >
> >    https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/19478
>
> Many years ago I wrote a package
> https://github.com/geggo/uvml
> that makes the VML, a fast implementation of transcendetal math functions, available for numpy. Don’t know if it still compiles.
> It uses Intel VML, designed for processing arrays, not the SVML intrinsics. By this it is less machine dependent (optimized implementations are selected automatically depending on the availability of, e.g., SSE, AVX, or AVX512), just link to a library. It compiles as an external module, can be activated at runtime.
>
> Different precision models can be selected at runtime (globally). I thinks Intel advocates to use the LA (low accuracy) mode as a good compromise between performance and accuracy. Different people have strongly diverging opinions about what to expect.
>
> The speedups possibly gained by these approaches often vaporize in non-benchmark applications, as for those functions performance is often limited by memory bandwidth, unless all your data stays in CPU cache. By default I would go for high accuracy mode, with option to switch to low accuracy if one urgently needs the better performance. But then one should use different approaches for speeding up numpy.
>
> Gregor
>

> > part of numerical algorithms is that there is always a speed vs.
> > precision trade-off, giving a more precise result is slower.
> >
> > So there is a question what the general precision expectation should be
> > in NumPy.  And how much is it acceptable to diverge in the
> > precision/speed trade-off depending on CPU/system?
> >
> > I doubt we can formulate very clear rules here, but any input on what
> > precision you would expect or trade-offs seem acceptable would be
> > appreciated!
> >

> > Some more details
> > -----------------
> >
> > This is mainly interesting e.g. for functions like logarithms,
> > trigonometric functions, or cubic roots.
> >
> > Some basic functions (multiplication, addition) are correct as per IEEE
> > standard and give the best possible result, but these are typically
> > only correct within very small numerical errors.
> >
> > This is typically measured as "ULP":
> >
> >     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_in_the_last_place
> >
> > where 0.5 ULP would be the best possible result.
> >

> > Merging the PR may mean relaxing the current precision slightly in some
> > places.  In general Intel advertises 4 ULP of precision (although the
> > actual precision for most functions seems better).
> >

> > Here are two tables, one from glibc and one for the Intel functions:
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Errors-in-Math-Functions.html
> [...]

Jérôme Kieffer
tel +33 476 882 445