[Numpy-discussion] Ndarray static typing: Order of generic types

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:35:41 EDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 2:44 PM bas van beek <bas.vanbeek at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>

> With the recent merging of numpy/numpy#16759
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/16759> we’re at the point where `
> ndarray` can be made generic w.r.t. its dtype and shape.
>
> An open question which yet remains is to order in which these two
> parameters should appear (numpy/numpy#16547
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/16547>):
>
> ·         `ndarray[Dtype, Shape]`
>
> ·         `ndarray[Shape, Dtype]`

Hi Bas,

Thanks for driving this forward!

Just to speak for myself, I don't think the precise choice matters
very much. There are arguments for consistency both ways. In the end Dtype
and Shape are different enough that I doubt it will be a point of confusion.

Also, I would guess many users will define their own type aliases, so can
write something more succinct like Float64[shape] rather than
ndarray[float64, shape].  We might even consider including some of these in
numpy.typing.

Cheers,
Stephan