[Numpy-discussion] log of negative real numbers -> RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in log

Brian Racey raceybe at gmail.com
Mon May 25 10:09:20 EDT 2020

Thanks. That is for performance and memory which of course is valid for
most use cases. Would it really be much different than doing type/size
checking of all the np.array arguments to a function to ensure the
appropriate final np.array sizes are allocated? I'm not trying to question
current practice, just trying to understand as performance will eventually
be important to me.

Would a "complex default" mode ever make it into numpy, to behave more like
Matlab and other packages with respect to complex number handling? Sure it
would make it marginally slower if enabled, but it might open the door to
better compatibility when porting code to Python.