[Numpy-discussion] Numpy FFT normalization options issue (addition of new option)

Feng Yu rainwoodman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:10:53 EDT 2020

Hi,

1. The wikipedia pages of CFT and DFT refer to norm='ortho' as 'unitary'.
Since we are in general working with complex numbers, I do suggest unitary
over ortho.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Other_conventions) and (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_Fourier_transform#The_unitary_DFT)

2. I share Chris's concern about 'inverse', but I could not come up with a
nice name.

3. Now that we are at this, should we also describe the corresponding
continuum limit of FFT and iFFT in the documentation?

A paragraph doing so could potentially also help people diagnose some of
the normalization factor errors. I assumed it is common that one needs to
translate a CFT into DFT when coding a paper up, and the correct
compensation to the normalization factors will surface if one does the
math. -- I had the impression 1 / N corresponds to 1 / 2pi if the variable
is angular frequency, but it's been a while since I did that last time.

- Yu