[Numpy-discussion] manylinux upgrade for numpy wheels

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:00:59 EST 2020

Slightly off topic perhaps, it is recommended to perform custom compilation
for best performance, yet is there an
easy way to do this?  I don't think a simple pip will do.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 4:07 AM Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:38 PM Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Pretty sure the 2010 and 2014 images both have much newer compilers than
> that.
> >
> > There are still a lot of users on CentOS 6, so I'd still stick to 2010
> for now on x86_64 at least. We could potentially start adding 2014 wheels
> for the other platforms where we currently don't ship wheels – gotta be
> better than nothing, right?
> >
> > There probably still is some tail of end users whose pip is too old to
> know about 2010 wheels. I don't know how big that tail is. If we wanted to
> be really careful, we could ship both manylinux1 and manylinux2010 wheels
> for a bit – pip will automatically pick the latest one it recognizes – and
> see what the download numbers look like.
>
> That all sounds right to me too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> > On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 13:18 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Thought now would be a good time to decide on upgrading manylinux for
> the 1.19 release so that we can make sure that everything works as
> expected. The choices are
> >>
> >> manylinux1 -- CentOS 5, currently used, gcc 4.2 (in practice 4.5), only
> supports i686, x86_64.
> >> manylinux2010 -- CentOS 6, gcc 4.5, only supports i686, x86_64.
> >> manylinux2014 -- CentOS 7, gcc 4.8, supports many more architectures.
> >>
> >> The main advantage of manylinux2014 is that it supports many new
> architectures, some of which we are already testing against. The main
> disadvantage is that it requires pip >= 19.x, which may not be much of a
> problem 4 months from now but will undoubtedly cause some installation
> problems. Unfortunately, the compiler remains archaic, but folks interested
> in performance should be using a performance oriented distribution or
> compiling for their native architecture.
> >>
> >> Chuck

*Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it*