[Numpy-discussion] np.{bool,float,int} deprecation

Mark Harfouche mark.harfouche at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 00:22:58 EST 2020

I guess if the answer is to stop people from

from numpy import *

there is a good fix for that doesn’t involve deprecating dtype=np.int.

If the answer is to deprecate

np.int(1) == int(1)

then one can add a warning to the __init__ of the np.int class, but
continue to subclass the python int class.

It just doesn’t seem worthwhile to to stop people from using dtype=np.int,
which seem to read:

“I want this to be a numpy integer, not necessarily a python integer”.