[Numpy-discussion] Forcing gufunc to error with size zero input

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 20:47:22 EDT 2019

I'm experimenting with gufuncs, and I just created a simple one with
signature '(i)->()'.  Is there a way to configure the gufunc itself so
that an empty array results in an error?  Or would I have to create a
Python wrapper around the gufunc that does the error checking?
Currently, when passed an empty array, the ufunc loop is called with
the core dimension associated with i set to 0.  It would be nice if
the code didn't get that far, and the ufunc machinery "knew" that this
gufunc didn't accept a core dimension that is 0.  I'd like to
automatically get an error, something like the error produced by
`np.max([])`.

Warren