[Numpy-discussion] Disallow Accelerate as a LAPACK backend for NumPy

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 19:40:03 EST 2019

Apple has dropped support for Accelerate. It has bugs that have not been
fixed, and is closed source so we cannot fix them ourselves. We have
been getting a handful of reports from users who end up building NumPy
on macOS, and inadvertently link to Accelerate, then end up with wrong
linalg results. In PR 14880 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14880 I
propose to disallow finding it when building NumPy. At this time it will
remain in distutils as one of the backends to support users, but how do
people feel about a future PR to totally remove it?

Matti