[Numpy-discussion] Adding generic dtypes

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Jul 25 14:23:06 EDT 2019

Hey,

On Thu, 2019-07-25 at 11:35 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The possibility of disabling default creation of object arrays has
> come up again. I'm wondering if one way to get there is to allow
> generic dtypes. The `numpy/core/numerictypes.py` module defines a
> hierarchy, and if we could allow things like `dtype=integer` or
> `dtype=no_object` and such we would gain more control over the
> resulting array types. At some point we could make `no_object` the
> default if we so desired.
>
> Thoughts?

personally, that is what I am currently thinking along. I was calling
them AbstractDTypes. These would also (probably mainly) be used for
type promotion during ufunc calls (ufunc type resolution).

OTOH, for `no_object` itself, I feel it would be OK with just special
case it, since the I do believe the plan should be to deprecate it.

I have to think a bit about how "flexible" dtypes come in (and value
based promotion, which is a bit of a funny beast).

I would like to plan a zoom meeting beginning of next week to discuss
this type of thing a bit more. Maybe Monday at 11 California time, but
right now I am very flexible, so whoever would be interested, feel free
to shoot me a mail to move things.
Not sure how concrete things will be, but without talking about it, it
is difficult for me to settle design ideas a bit more.

Best,

Sebastian