[Numpy-discussion] NEP 28 — A standard community policy for dropping support of old Python and NumPy versions

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:51:55 EDT 2019

Folks,

This NEP is a proposing a standard policy for the community to determine
when we age-out support for old  versions of Python. This came out of
in-person discussions at SciPy earlier in July and scattered discussion
across github. This is being proposed by maintainers from Matplotlib,
scikit-learn,
IPython, Jupyter, yt, SciPy, NumPy, and scikit-image.

TL;DR:

We propose only supporting versions of CPython initially released in the
preceding 42 months of a major or minor release of any of our projects.

Please see https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14086 and keep the
discussion there as there are many interested parties (from the other
projects) that may not be subscribed to the numpy mailing list.

Tom

--
Thomas Caswell
tcaswell at gmail.com