[Numpy-discussion] Helping with website improvements

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:10:25 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:23 AM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:48 AM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With respect to this call for contributions:
>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13988/files
>> I would like to help with improving the website of numpy (and maybe scipy
>> as well).
>> I have also applied for the Google Season of Docs 2019, and if accepted,
>> I will be starting by the beginning of August.
>>
>> The improvements that I would like to make include:
>> - Making the website responsive (so that it looks nice on small screens
>> as well). There are responsive themes for sphinx and I may use one of them.
>> - Improving the main page (or the landing page) so that it looks a bit
>> more modern and attractive.
>> - Reorganizing the structure of the information on the website, so that
>> people from different backgrounds (students, professionals, etc.) can find
>> more easily the relevant information that they are looking for. Including
>> references to the external tutorials or courses about NumPy/SciPy.
>>

> Has anybody tried Katacoda before:
> https://www.katacoda.com/courses/python/playground ?

I haven't heard of it before. Looks cool. Seems to run on Docker, so would
require some infrastructure. If it's something we could get from a static
site, then it may be worth considering. Could you summarize what it would
require?

Cheers,
Ralf

It can be used to develop interactive tutorials, which can also be embedded