[Numpy-discussion] Adding a "suffle=True" kwarg to numpy.random.Generator.choice

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:31:24 EDT 2019

In PR https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13812, Thrasibule rewrote the
algorithm used with a faster alternative branch for some cases. The
faster algorithm does not necessarily shuffle the results, so for
instance gen.choice(2000, 2000, replace=False) may simply return
arange(2000). In the old code the result is always shuffled. We propose
adding a new kwarg "shuffle" that defaults to True. Users looking for
maximum performance may choose to use shuffle=False.

Since this is a behavioral change (although only in the new Generator
class, the new code will not be used in RandomState), we are proposing
it to the mailing list

Any thoughts?

Matti