[Numpy-discussion] Tidelift

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:05:53 EDT 2018

> Yeah I'm reaching out to Don as we speak. I've known him for a number of
> years and chatted about NumFOCUS working with Tidelift last year but this
> program didn't exist.  I think the real game changer is having an automated
> way to scan a clients code base and spit out the dependencies. I would love
> to have that to take to every institute we work with. "Here NASA if you
> don't support these codes the next rover could die" =D

I agree with the sentiment but you may need a better example...  At least,
numarray (which, with numeric, became numpy) was developed at NASA's Space
Telescope Science Institute; and the same institute has been paying several
developers of astropy (partially as they see it as the best way to get good
data analysis pipelines for the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope), one
of which was Michael Droetboom (who you may know from matplotlib). Overall,
in astronomy at least, NASA has been a wonderful force for open data and
software.

-- Marten.