[Numpy-discussion] rescuing missing data documents

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 00:15:36 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Recently a few people (Tyler, Matti, myself, maybe others?) were discussing
the history of missing data in the context of custom dtypes. I mentioned
that there was a good write-up, but couldn't find it at the time. I just
stumbled across it, it's hidden in the numpy.org repo:
http://www.numpy.org/NA-overview. So hope this helps.

That document further references two alternative NEPs that didn't make it
into our repo:
1. https://gist.github.com/njsmith/1056379 (authors Matthew Brett,
Nathaniel Smith),
2. https://gist.github.com/njsmith/1068264 (author Nathaniel Smith),
as well as another summary:
https://github.com/njsmith/numpy/wiki/NA-discussion-status

I'd like to see the NEPs rescued, and the summary moved from the numpy.org
repo (maybe into yet another NEP?). It would be best if the original
authors do this, but otherwise I'm happy to do it. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ralf