[Numpy-discussion] Exact semantics of ufunc.reduce

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Fri Oct 12 12:11:20 EDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 17:34 +0200, Hameer Abbasi wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I’m trying to investigate the exact way ufunc.reduce works when given
> a custom dtype. Does it cast before or after the operation, or
> somewhere in between? How does this differ from ufunc.reduceat, for
> example?

I am not 100% sure, but I think giving the dtype definitely casts the
output type. And since most ufunc loops are defined as "ff->f", etc.
that effectively casts the input as well. It might be it casts the
input specifically, but I doubt it.

The cast will occur within the buffering machinery, so the cast is only
done in small chunks. But the operation itself should be performed
using the given dtype.

- Sebastian