[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP 15: Merging multiarray and umath

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jun 29 18:18:20 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I propose that we accept NEP 15: Merging multiarray and umath:

http://www.numpy.org/neps/nep-0015-merge-multiarray-umath.html

The core part of this proposal was uncontroversial. The main point of
discussion was whether it was OK to deprecate set_numeric_ops, or
whether it had some legitimate use cases. The conclusion was that in
all the cases where set_numeric_ops is useful,
PyUFunc_ReplaceLoopBySignature is a strictly better alternative, so
there's no reason not to deprecate set_numeric_ops. So at this point I
think the whole proposal is uncontroversial, and we can go ahead and
accept it.

If there are no substantive objections within 7 days from this email,
then the NEP will be accepted; see NEP 0 for more details:
http://www.numpy.org/neps/nep-0000.html

-n