[Numpy-discussion] NEP: Random Number Generator Policy

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 20:26:35 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It may be worth having a look at test suites for scipy, statsmodels,
>> scikit-learn, etc. and estimate how much work this NEP causes those
>> projects. If the devs of those packages are forced to do large scale
>> migrations from RandomState to StableState, then why not instead keep
>> RandomState and just add a new API next to it?
>>

> The problem is that we can't really have an ecosystem with two different
> general purpose systems.

Can't = prefer not to. But yes, that's true. That's not what I was saying
though. We want one generic one, and one meant for unit testing only. You
can achieve that in two ways:
1. Change the current np.random API to new generic, and add a new
RandomStable for unit tests.
2. Add a new generic API, and document the current np.random API as being
meant for unit tests only, for other usage <new API> should be preferred.

(2) has a couple of pros:
- you're not forcing almost every library and end user out there to migrate
their unit tests.
- more design freedom for the new generic API. The current one is clearly
sub-optimal; in a new one you wouldn't have to expose all the global
state/functions that np.random exposes now. You could even restrict it to a
single class and put that in the main numpy namespace.

Ralf

To properly use pseudorandom numbers, I need to instantiate a PRNG and