[Numpy-discussion] NEP: Dispatch Mechanism for NumPy’s high level API

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:49:13 EDT 2018

> and in particular how the implementation finds out where its own instances
>> are located.
>>

> I think we've discussed this before, but I don't think this is feasible to
> solve in general given the diversity of wrapped APIs. If you want to find
> the arguments in which a class' own instances appear, you will need to do
> that in your overloaded function.
>
> That said, if merely pulling out the flat list of arguments that are
> checked for and/or implement __array_function__ would be enough, we can
> probably figure out a way to expose that information.

In the end, somewhere inside the "dance", you are checking for
`__array_function` - it would seem to me that at that point you know
exactly where you are, and it would not be difficult to something like
```
types[new_type] += [where_i_am]
```
(where here I assume types is a defaultdict(list))  - has the set of types
in keys and locations as values.

But easier to discuss whether this is easy with some sample code to look at!

-- Marten