[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP 19: Random Number Generator Policy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 17:34:30 EDT 2018

There has been one clarification to the text:

  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/11488

For the legacy RandomState, we will *not* be fixing correctness bugs if
they doing so would break the stream; this is in contrast with the current
policy where we can fix correctness bugs. In the post-NEP world,
RandomState's purpose will be to provide across-version-stable numbers for
unit tests, so stability is primary. I don't expect to see many more bugs,
except in arcane corners of the parameter spaces, like in #11475, which can
be avoided, and we can introduce warnings to help users avoid them.

  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/11475

--
Robert Kern