[Numpy-discussion] Moving NumPy's PRNG Forward

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 07:07:39 EST 2018

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 7:34 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 2:27 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I fully understand
> > Is the proposal to drop stream-backward compatibility completely for
the future or just a one time change?

> For all future.

To color this a little, while we'll have a burst of activity for the first
round to fix all of the mistakes I baked in early, I do not expect the pace
of change after that to be very large. While we are going to relax the
strictness of the policy, we should carefully weigh the benefit of a change
against the pain of changing the stream, and explore ways to implement the
improvement that would retain the stream. We should take more care making
such changes in `np.random` than in other parts of numpy. When we get to
drafting the NEP, I'd be happy to include language to this effect.

--
Robert Kern