[Numpy-discussion] improving arange()? introducing fma()?

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:33:28 EST 2018

Sorry, I have been distracted with xarray improvements the past couple of
weeks.

Some thoughts on what has been discussed:

First, you are right...Decimal is not the right module for this. I think
instead I should use the 'fractions' module for loading grid spec
information from strings (command-line, configs, etc). The tricky part is
getting the yaml reader to use it instead of converting to a float under
the hood.

Second, what has been pointed out about the implementation of arange
actually helps to explain some oddities I have encountered. In some
situations, I have found that it was better for me to produce the reversed
sequence, and then reverse that array back and use it.

Third, it would be nice to do what we can to improve arange()'s results.
Would we be ok with a PR that uses fma() if it is available, but then falls
back on a regular multiply and add if it isn't available, or are we going
to need to implement it ourselves for consistency?

Lastly, there definitely needs to be a better tool for grid making. The
problem appears easy at first, but it is fraught with many pitfalls and
subtle issues. It is easy to say, "always use linspace()", but if the user
doesn't have the number of pixels, they will need to calculate that using
--- gasp! -- floating point numbers, which could result in the wrong
answer. Or maybe their first/last positions were determined by some other
calculation, and so the resulting grid does not have the expected spacing.
Another problem that I run into is starting from two different sized grids
and padding them both to be the same spec -- and getting that to match what
would come about if I had generated the grid from scratch.

Getting these things right is hard. I am not even certain that my existing
code for doing this even right. But, what I do know is that until we build
such a tool, users will continue to incorrectly use arange() and
linspace(), and waste time trying to re-invent the wheel badly, assuming
they even notice their mistakes in the first place! So, should such a tool
go into numpy, given how fundamental it is to generate a sequence of
floating point numbers, or should we try to put it into a package like
rasterio or xarray?

Cheers!
Ben Root