[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP-18, __array_function__ protocol

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:54:54 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:06 PM Hameer Abbasi <einstein.edison at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I might add that if it’s a mandatory part of the protocol, then not all
> things will work. For example, if XArray and Dask want to support sparse
> arrays, they’ll need to add an explicit dependency.

I don't follow -- can you please elaborate?

If you don't want to do anything with the 'types' argument, you can simply
ignore it.

The problem of identifying whether arguments have valid types or not
remains unchanged from the situation with __add__ or __array_ufunc__.
'types' just gives you another optional tool to help solve it.